PTSD: National Center for PTSD
Ismene L. Petrakis, MD
Ismene L. Petrakis, MD
Acting Deputy Director
Clinical Neurosciences Division
See staff directory for contact information.
- Yale University School of Medicine, Professor of Psychiatry
- Resident in Psychiatry, Yale University School of Medicine, 1988-1991
- Intern, Norwalk Hospital, Department of Internal Medicine, 1987-1988
- University of Pittsburgh, M.D. 1987
- Northwestern University, B.A. 1983
Expertise and Interests
- PTSD with Comorbid Alcohol Use Disorder
- PTSD with Comorbid Opioid Use Disorder
- Neurobiology of PTSD with Comorbid Substance Use Disorders
Membership in Professional Societies
- Pain Management and Opioid Safety in the Veterans Health Administration, "Effective Management of Pain and Addiction: Strategies to Improve Opioid Safety" State of the Art (SOTA) Planning Committee Member
- Member, American Association of Directors of Psychiatric Residency Training
- Associate Editor, Case-Series for American Journal of Addictions
- Member, Editorial Board for Addictive Disorders & Their Treatment
- Chair, American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry (AAAP) Area Directors, Program Committee
- Co-Editor, Journal of Addiction Medicine
Awards and Honors
- The Hedwig van Ameringen Executive Leadership in Academic Medicine (ELAM)
- National Acupuncture Detoxification Association (NADA) Award for Vision and Leadership
- The Stephen Fleck Faculty Award as exemplary physician and clinical teacher, Yale University School of Medicine
Meshberg-Cohen, S., Black, A.C., DeViva, J.C., Petrakis, I.L., & Rosen, M.I. (2019). Trauma treatment for veterans in buprenorphine maintenance treatment for opioid use disorder. Addict Behav; 89:29-34.
Verplaetse, T., Ralevski, R., Roberts, W., Gueorguieva, R., McKee, S., & Petrakis, I. (2019). Alcohol abstainer status and prazosin treatment in association with change in PTSD symptoms in veterans with comorbid AUD and PTSD. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, 43(4):741-746.
Petrakis, I.L., & Simpson, T.L. (2017). Posttraumatic stress disorder and alcohol use disorder: A critical review of pharmacologic treatments. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, 41(2):226-237.
Simpson, T.L., Lehavot, K., & Petrakis, I.L. (2017). No wrong doors: Findings from a critical review of behavioral randomized clinical trials for individuals with co-occurring alcohol/drug problems and PTSD. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, 41(4):681-702.
Petrakis, I.L., Desai, N., Gueorguieva, R., Arias, A., O'Brien, E., Jane, J.S., Sevarino, K., Southwick, S., & Ralevski, E.(2016). Prazosin for veterans with posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and co-morbid alcohol dependence: A clinical trial. Alcoholism: Clinical & Experimental Research, 40(1):178-86.
Members of the press interested in scheduling an interview please see the contact for the media page.