PTSD: National Center for PTSD
Robert H. Pietrzak, PhD, MPH
Robert H. Pietrzak, PhD, MPH
Director, Translational Psychiatric Epidemiology Laboratory
Clinical Neurosciences Division
See staff directory for contact information.
- Yale School of Medicine, Associate Professor of Psychiatry
- Yale School of Public Health, Associate Professor of Social and Behavioral Sciences
- Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, Adjunct Associate Professor of Psychiatry and Environmental Medicine and Public Health
- University of Connecticut, Clinical Psychology with Concentration in Clinical Neuropsychology, PhD, 2008
- University of Connecticut, Public Health, MPH, 2003
- Clark University, Psychology, BA, 2001
Expertise and Interests
- Psychosocial and genetic epidemiology of PTSD and related disorders
- Risk and resilience factors in PTSD
- Aging and PTSD
- Dimensional models of trauma-related psychopathology
- Neurobiology of PTSD (molecular imaging, multi-modal approaches)
Membership in Professional Societies
- International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies
- Anxiety and Depression Association of America
- International Federation of Psychiatric Epidemiology
Awards and Honors
- Chaim and Bela Danieli Young Professional Award, International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies
- Award for Outstanding Contribution to Trauma Psychology by an Early Career Psychologist, American Psychological Association - Division 56
- Nelson Butters Award for Research Contributions to Clinical Neuropsychology, National Academy of Neuropsychology
Mota, N. P., Cook, J. M., Smith, N. B., Tsai, J., Harpaz-Rotem, I., Krystal, J. H., Southwick, S. M., & Pietrzak, R. H. (2019). Trajectories of posttraumatic stress symptoms in U.S. military veterans: A seven-year, nationally representative, prospective cohort study. Journal of Psychiatric Research, 119, 23-31. doi: 10.1016/j.jpsychires.2019.09.005.
Tamman, A., Montalvo-Ortiz, J., Southwick, S. M., Krystal, J. H., Levy, B., Gelernter, J., & Pietrzak, R. H. (2019). Accelerated DNA methylation aging in U.S. military veterans: Results from the National Health and Resilience in Veterans Study. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 27, 528-532. doi: 10.1016/j.jagp.2019.01.001.
Mota, N. P., Han, S., Harpaz-Rotem, I., Maruff, P., Krystal, J. H., Southwick, S. M., Gelernter, J., & Pietrzak, R. H. (2018). Apolipoprotein E gene polymorphism, trauma burden, and posttraumatic stress symptoms in U.S. military veterans: Results from the National Health and Resilience in Veterans Study. Depression and Anxiety, 35, 168-177. doi: 10.1002/da.22698.
El-Gabalawy, R., Blaney, C., Tsai, J., Sumner, J. A., & Pietrzak, R. H. (2018). Physical health conditions associated with full and subthreshold PTSD in U.S. military veterans: Results from the National Health and Resilience in Veterans Study. Journal of Affective Disorders, 227: 849-853. doi: 10.1016/j.jad.2017.11.058
Pietrzak, R. H., Pitts, B. L., Harpaz-Rotem, I., Southwick, S. M., & Whealin, J. M. (2017). Factors protecting against the development of suicidal ideation in military veterans. World Psychiatry, 2016, 326-327. doi: 10.1002/wps.20467
Members of the press interested in scheduling an interview please see the contact for the media page.