PTSD: National Center for PTSD
Google Play (Android)
Mobile Apps: Beyond MST
The Beyond MST app was created for survivors of military sexual trauma (MST). MST is VA's term for sexual assault or sexual harassment that occurred during military service. Veterans of all genders and backgrounds have experienced MST. The app offers information and resources to help survivors cope with challenges related to MST and improve their health, relationships and quality of life.
With Beyond MST you can:
- Learn about common challenges related to MST and skills and resources that can help
- Use over 30 tools to help you cope with problems, reduce distress and improve your quality of life
- Take brief assessments to understand your symptoms and beliefs (how you think about the world)
- Track your progress toward recovery goals
- Find new sources of support and read inspiring messages from other sexual trauma survivors
How to Use Beyond MST
Beyond MST is secure. Any personal information you enter into the app stays on your device and is not shared with anyone unless you choose to do so. No account or password is required, and no personally identifying information is collected or connected to VA medical records. The app can be protected with a 4-digit passcode for additional security.
Because MST affects people differently, Beyond MST has a variety of tools and resources. Explore the app to find ones that work for you and use them regularly. You can learn and practice skills to:
- Work through self-blame and identify your strengths
- Manage stress and reduce unhelpful thoughts
- Improve communication in relationships
- Create self-care plans to support your physical and emotional well-being
- Find hope and build the life you deserve
Beyond MST was specifically designed for Veterans who experienced MST. However, it also may be helpful for anyone healing from unwanted sexual experiences, in or out of the military.
NOTE: Beyond MST is not intended to replace needed professional care for concerns related to MST, including mental health conditions such as PTSD. The app does include tips for how to get help and links to resources for professional help if you need it.
Introduction to the Beyond MST app
The Beyond MST app was created for survivors of military sexual trauma (MST).
Privacy and Security
Any data created by the user of this app are only as secure as the phone/device itself. Use the security features on your device if you are concerned about the privacy of your information. Users are free to share data; as the self-monitoring data belong to each user, HIPAA concerns do not apply while the data are stored or shared. If the user were to transmit or share data with a health care provider, the provider must then comply with the HIPAA rules.
The Beyond MST app can be protected with a 4-digit passcode for additional security.
Who Created the Beyond MST Mobile App?
Beyond MST was made by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Mobile Mental Health team at the National Center for PTSD, Dissemination and Training Division, in collaboration with the National Center for PTSD, Women's Health Sciences Division, and the national VA Military Sexual Trauma Support Team.